Soldotna Elementary 2019 Summer Reading Program
In order to maintain our high reading scores Soldotna Elementart, we would like to encourage you to do all you can to keep your child reading through the summer. Studies have shown that students regress in their academic skills over extended breaks from school. With your help, we would like to see this regression slowed, if not stopped.
Here are some tips to help your child become a better reader:
- Read aloud to your child as often as possible. Remember that children of all ages love to hear books read aloud. Keep reading to your child even after they learn to read by themselves.
- Talk about what you read. Language and thinking skills develop when children talk.
- Have your child read aloud to you. Keep it fun and enjoyable.
- Get a library card for our child. Make visiting the library a special weekly event.
- Make sure your child owns some books. Encourage relatives to give books as gifts.
- Encourage your child to read to others.
- Let your child see you reading a variety of printed material, magazines, recipes, etc. Parents are the most important role models.
- Monitor TV viewing and video game playing. Set time limits and make good decisions about what programs and games are suitable for young children.